LASERS, SO WHAT DO THEY DO?
At Cronulla Cosmetic Medicine we have a variety of lasers available and it’s interesting to know what they do. Laser treatment ultimately creates a repair system for your skin, causing an extra boost in collagen and elastin production.
FRACTIONAL CO2 LASER
Fractional Co2 Laser targets the outer layers of the skin. Refining or eliminating skin imperfections such as acne scarring, wrinkles and reduced skin elasticity, pigmentation and sun damaged skin by remodelling tissue and stimulating fibroblast activity to produce new collagen.
Known as Laser Resurfacing, Fractional Co2 works by creating thousands of microscopic perforations in the skin’s surface. When that layer of the skin is damaged, the body’s natural healing process encourages new skin to grow and subsequently starts up collagen production.
Fractional CO2 Laser Resurfacing generally requires some down time for recovery. The amount of downtime depends on the depth of the irregularities and how intense the treatment is. Co2 Laser Resurfacing is recommended for patients with mild to significant skin conditions and is performed by our medical staff.
YAG laser can treat everything from wrinkles and visible veins to brown spots and scars, as well as laser hair removal and tattoo removal.
Nd: YAG lasers can be used in three modes:
· Q-switched which produces extremely short bursts of energy/massive amounts of power. This power helps to break up dark tones, so used for treating pigmentation and for tattoo removal. It works by targeting dark concentrations of melanin or ink and fractures it into tiny pieces that are carried away by the immune system or peeled off the skin’s surface. Q-switched also works on broken capillaries, the laser’s light energy heats up the vessels, causing them to swell and be destroyed.
· Long pulse, which means the amount of time skin is exposed to the laser energy. Nd:YAG lasers are widely used for hair removal in patients with dark skin, particularly those whose hair is very coarse and dark. They’re considered “pigment-friendly,” so they’re the most effective and safest way to remove unwanted hair in these patients without causing discolouration or hyperpigmentation.
· Picosecond. In this mode, the Nd:YAG laser has an even higher power than Q-switched and breaks up tattoo particles more rapidly and effectively. With modifications, this mode can also deliver mild resurfacing which will stimulate production of new collagen and elastic tissue as well as eliminating unwanted pigmentation.
Laser Genesis is an ideal treatment for the face, neck, chest, and other areas of the body with noticeable signs of ageing, sun damage, or scarring. It can safely treat fine lines, uneven texture, dullness, redness, rosacea, large pores, and acne scars, all with no downtime. Laser Genesis also kick-starts new collagen production.
Laser Genesis is a non-ablative vascular laser, meaning that it doesn’t remove the skin’s top layer and works by heating the deeper layers. You experience a gentle warming of your skin’s surface during the procedure. Patients often describe the treatment as relaxing and therapeutic.
With Laser Genesis the effects are gradual. You may not see much of a difference until several weeks after your first treatment.
Laser facials are performed by our Cosmetic Nurses and Beauty Therapists and are the ideal ongoing treatment to maintain healthy skin tone and texture. They can target particular concerns, such as pigmentation, redness, scarring or uneven skin tone or as a revitalising and anti-ageing maintenance treatment.
Laser facials are a fast and effective treatment with no downtime. Laser facials can be performed as often as your skin concerns and budget require, i.e. weekly, fortnightly, or monthly.
We recommend a program that includes a combination of laser and peels and LED treatments to achieve ultimate results.
ANY QUESTIONS? WANT TO BOOK A CONSULTATION?
Whether you’re ready to get started or simply have some questions at this point, your first step is scheduling an initial consultation with us.
We are ready to help at any time, so contact us today to schedule your consultation.
- TREATING REDNESS, ROSCACEA & CHERRY ANGIOMAS
- MELASMA TREATMENTS
- NON-SURGICAL FACE LIFT
- LASER TERMINOLOGY, WHAT DOES THAT ACTUALLY MEAN?
- LASERS, SO WHAT DO THEY DO?
- LASER HAIR REMOVAL
- EYE AREA REJUVENATION
- DERMAPLANING + LACTIC PEEL
- FRACTIONAL CO2 LASER SKIN RESURFACING
- PEELS, SO WHAT DO THEY DO?